Welcome to the web site of the Servais Society.
The Belgian cellist-composer François Servais (1807-1866) toured all over Europe. As one of the most important nineteenth-century cellist-composers, Servais contributed to the development of cello technique, and to the cello’s ‘emancipation’ as a solo instrument in its own right.
Today, his music is alive and kicking: his compositions are being studied, performed or listened, throughout the world.
Enjoy your visit!
The Servais Society
- Expo ‘François Servais, the Paganini of the Cello’ - Come and discover Servais’ life and work at the exposition in the entrance hall of Flagey during the Queen Elisabeth International Cello Competition. More info
- Misia 150 years - Misia Godebska was the grand-daughter of the Belgian cellist François Servais.Villa Servais, the Servais Society and cc ‘t Vondel will celebrate the 150th anniversary of Misia with two concerts on March 30, 2022 (more info), and on June 6, 2022 (more info).
- Four days with Servais - Masterclasses with the Tansman Quartet & Ann Van Hecke, and concerts. From 13 till 16 April 2022 in Halle. More info
- François Servais, the Paganini of the Cello - François Servais (1807-1866) was a pioneering cellist, a European star and one of the founding fathers of the Belgian School of Cello Playing. This richly illustrated brochure enables the public to discover this multifacetted and remarkable Belgian musician. More info
- Cyprien Godebski in Halle - About the life and works of Servais’ son-in-law Cyprien Godebski, with special attention to his connection to Halle and the works he made there. More info
- Servais Urtext Series - The Servais Urtext Series present a number of Urtext editions of the most famous works by François Servais (1807-1866), made by Yuriy Leonovich in collaboration with the Servais Society. The printed versions can be ordered through the Servais Society. They are also available as digital download on https://yuriyleonovich.com/sheet-music-store
- Cd Fantaisie de Servais - After 10 years Yutaka Hayashi has become a natural at Servais’ music and it was time for a cd. That cd contains no less than six compositions by Servais: four of his best known pieces – Souvenir de Spa, Le Carnaval de Venise, La Romanesca and La Fille du Régiment – and two duos on Der Freischütz and La Traviata. ...
- Dvd Leven in Villa Servais - The Villa Servais means something in Halle. Not only because of its dominant position nearby the Halle city center, but above all because of the special history of the building. It was the place where the famous cellist Servais lived with his family since 1847 and received his international friends. During the second world war it provided accommodation to German ...