Welcome to the web site of the Servais Society.
The Belgian cellist-composer François Servais (1807-1866) toured all over Europe. As one of the most important nineteenth-century cellist-composers, Servais contributed to the development of cello technique, and to the cello’s ‘emancipation’ as a solo instrument in its own right.
Today, his music is alive and kicking: his compositions are being studied, performed or listened, throughout the world.
Enjoy your visit!
The Servais Society
- 26th Servais Concert ‘Servais in Andalusia’ - Javier Escalona and Laura Granero will demonstrate the influence of Servais on the Spanish school of Cello Playing. More info
- Cello for Charity - More info
- Bring Rossini’s bust back to Halle! - In 1865 Cyprien Godebski made a superb bust of Rossini. With your support this bust could return to Halle. Check www.servais-vzw.org/en/rossini/.
- Cyprien Godebski in Halle - About the life and works of Servais’ son-in-law Cyprien Godebski, with special attention to his connection to Halle and the works he made there. More info
- Servais Urtext Series - The Servais Urtext Series present a number of Urtext editions of the most famous works by François Servais (1807-1866), made by Yuriy Leonovich in collaboration with the Servais Society. The printed versions can be ordered through the Servais Society. They are also available as digital download on https://yuriyleonovich.com/sheet-music-store
- Cd Fantaisie de Servais - After 10 years Yutaka Hayashi has become a natural at Servais’ music and it was time for a cd. That cd contains no less than six compositions by Servais: four of his best known pieces – Souvenir de Spa, Le Carnaval de Venise, La Romanesca and La Fille du Régiment – and two duos on Der Freischütz and La Traviata. ...
- Dvd Leven in Villa Servais - The Villa Servais means something in Halle. Not only because of its dominant position nearby the Halle city center, but above all because of the special history of the building. It was the place where the famous cellist Servais lived with his family since 1847 and received his international friends. During the second world war it provided accommodation to German ...
- Cd: Duo ForteCello - On 1 June 2018 the cd ‘Soul of Nations’ made by the French-Polish duo ForteCello was presented. That cd also contains a composition by Servais. The duo ForteCello – Philippe Argenty and Anna Mikulska – travels all over Europe with the program ‘Soul of Nations’. Each composition is inspired by a specific country – just as the Spanish Suite by ...